These Thai chicken lettuce wraps are very similar to Larb Gui served in Thai restaurants – I love Larb Gui, and these chicken lettuce wraps were pretty amazing too. Larb Gui is typically served as an appetizer, but my husband and I decided to make a whole meal out of these Thai chicken lettuce wraps.
4 teaspoons peanut oil (or any oil, I just love the flavor of peanut oil in Thai dishes)
2 shallots, minced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 pound ground chicken
2 Thai or serrano chilies, minced
2 tablespoons fish sauce
3 teaspoons dark brown sugar
3 teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup basil leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 lime wedges
1 head of iceberg lettuce
few handfuls of white rice
1. Heat up a skillet and once warm throw in a few handfuls of white rice; continuously toss the rice and cook until lightly browned. Pour the browned rice into a mortar & pestle and grind until crushed.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots and sauté 2 minutes; add bell pepper and sauté 1 minute; add garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Remove shallot mixture from pan.
3. Add chicken to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well.
4. Add the chiles to the cooked chicken and cook 1 minute. Add the shallot mixture to pan, stir in the fish sauce and next 3 ingredients (through black pepper); cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
5. Rinse the iceberg lettuce well.
6. Scoop the chicken mixture into a bowl and stir in basil and juice. Serve in the lettuce with lime wedges squeezed on top.